When a person enters the stage or appears on the screen, the audience evaluates him within a few seconds. The first impression is formed using non-verbal signals. In other words, in a few seconds, listeners decide whether you can be trusted and whether you should listen at all. They do this before analyzing the meaning and relevance of what you are saying. You send non-verbal signals with the help of appearance, posture, facial expressions, manners, clothes, accessories, voice. From this article, you will learn how to control the voice and prepare it for public speaking.
See also: How to create a lethal presentation and successfully speak to an audience
How the voice of a strong and confident person sounds
What should be the voice for its owner to make a favorable impression on the audience? The following are the specifications:
- Loud enough.
- Emotionally colored.
- Possessing a pleasant timbre, free from defects.
- Managed, changing according to the situation.
Pay attention to the voice of the hero of the famous movie on the video below, it corresponds to the listed characteristics.
What voice can send negative non-verbal signals to the audience? Here are the most typical features:
- Tall. Notice, in itself, a high voice is not a problem. About the uncertainty of the person says "crushed" voice, which is generated in the oropharynx. In this case, parts of the speech apparatus located anatomically below do not participate in sound generation.
- Quiet. It is worth noting that a good speaker can speak quietly and keep the attention of the audience. He can adjust the volume to the situation. It is difficult for an unsure person to speak louder, as part of the muscles involved in breathing and voice generation is blocked.
- Emotionally poor. If a speaker cannot emphasize emotions with a voice, he is deprived of an important communication channel.
- Defective. Abominations, distorting sounds, wheezing and other defects usually produce a negative impression. There are exceptions to this rule: what is Vysotsky's hoarse voice worth.
- Rigid. If a speaker cannot change his voice according to the situation, he risks being left without listeners. For example, speaking to an audience in a huge assembly hall, you naturally try to speak louder. If you have to enter a small audience in five minutes and say a few words to 10 listeners, you need to tune your voice to the situation.
Notice how the voice of the famous politician Alexander Lebed changes depending on the situation. On the first video, he gives an interview, talking one-to-one with a journalist.
In the second video, he gives a press conference in a large hall, addressing a group of people.
How to improve voice
Characteristics of the human voice are partially determined by congenital and acquired features of the anatomy of the body. For example, if you have a curvature of the nasal septum, obtained as a result of hard boxing in childhood, you will gnaw until you have an operation. If you have a soprano by nature, you are unlikely to speak in public speeches in a low voice. However, you can affect the characteristics of the voice, which are determined by the physiological characteristics of the speech apparatus and the organism as a whole. Many physiological processes and states are formed by our psyche, so they are amenable to conscious control.
See also: How to turn a boring text into a bright presentation
How to influence the voice using posture
Lie on the floor, curl up and press your chin to your chest. Tell your favorite poem. Funny This exaggerated example shows that posture affects voice characteristics.
To make your speech sound confident and convincing, try to speak while standing. Shoulders should be deployed and lowered. The back must be straightened and the stomach relaxed. If you wear a belt, do not tighten it too tightly before the performance. If possible, do some simple exercises before going on stage:
- Stand up straight and raise your hands several times up through the sides.
- Spread your arms to the side and hug yourself several times.
- Arrange your arms to the side and bend in elbows. Close the shoulder blades several times.
- Breathe air into the lungs and hold your breath. Roll air from chest to belly. So you knead and unlock the diaphragm.
- Dial full air lungs. Exhale with the sound "a" and lightly tap your palm on the chest.
During the exercise, do not make sudden movements. Breathe exactly. These exercises will help you prepare your lungs, lower airways, intercostal muscles, abdominal muscles, and diaphragm for performance.
How to prepare for speech speech apparatus
Now you need to prepare for the performance of the upper respiratory tract, vocal cords, tongue, muscles of the face and neck. The following complex and even its separate exercises are suitable for this:
- Bend your head forward, backward and sideways several times.
- Mash the lower jaw: open your mouth several times as wide as possible, make chewing movements, move your jaw from side to side.
- Make a few swallowing movements with effort. By the way, this exercise is a good prevention of colds and viral infections in the cold season. When you swallow hard, you activate blood circulation in the oropharynx and stimulate the production of saliva, which contains protective substances.
- Cough, say a few words, sing a couplet of your favorite song.
- Smile, send a kiss to a friend or a reflection in the mirror.
- Take a few sips of water. Note that water should be at room temperature or slightly warmer than room temperature. Too cold and too hot liquid worsens a sound of a voice.
During the performance try to keep a slight smile on your face. This will prevent the unconscious tension of the facial muscles, which negatively affects the voice.
How to calm down before the performance
It is no secret that excitement and fright negatively affect the voice. To speak convincingly and beautifully, you must feel calm and confident. To calm down before going on stage, use the following guidelines:
- Select in advance in the hall of one person who you like. This may be your friend. Imagine that you are speaking exclusively for him: look at this person, address him with cues and questions.
- Before you start speaking, introduce yourself and briefly list your regalia and achievements.
- During the performance try not to give up below the chest. Gesture. If possible, walk around the stage. The movement will warn you with tightness and add confidence.
- Smile A smiling man is rarely enslaved and unsure of himself.
- Hold something in your hand. This may be a laser pointer, a notepad with speech theses, a product prototype. Avoid fussy small movements: do not crumple the paper, do not click the pen button, etc.
- Do not forget, most of those present wanted to spit on you. People think only about themselves, about their benefits, appearance. This attitude will be useful if you are very worried.
Try to relate to what is happening with humor and irony. This is a universal recipe that helps to deal with experiences in different situations.
See also: 13 ways to increase attendance of your webinars
The voice of truth is quiet
If you have become a recognized authority in your industry, people will squeal on each other and catch your words, even if you speak in a whisper. To reach this level, you should speak confidently and loudly during the first performances, and your voice should appeal to the audience. Use the exercises and recommendations described above to quickly prepare for a performance. Please note that this complex will help you to improve the characteristics of your voice if you carry it out according to plan.