Residents of large cities live at a frantic pace. They get up at five in the morning to get to work on time. Returning home at seven or eight in the evening, people barely manage to swallow dinner and hug their loved ones. They fall asleep before they get to bed. Will you say that this situation should disturb doctors and psychologists, and not marketers? In any case, the rhythm of the life of a big city makes it impossible for people to consume marketing content. If a person does not have the strength to view the news feed on Facebook, then reading consumer guides, analytical articles and reviews is out of the question.
In this situation, the saving straw becomes content that can be consumed on the go, for example, sitting in the subway or driving a car. This type of content includes podcasts that can be listened to using a smartphone or car radio. This article will tell you what equipment and software can be used for podcasting.
Podcasting is the creation and publication of thematic audio or video content. The terms "audioblogging" and "videoblogging" are considered to be synonymous with podcasting.
To become a podcaster, you don’t have to lay down an apartment and equip a professional recording studio. If you use a computer, then you already have most of the resources required for podcasting. However, you still have to purchase additional hardware and software.
What equipment is needed for podcasting
To record a podcast, first you need a microphone. Surely your laptop has a built-in microphone. Use it if your audio blog is about new Winx Club series or sports scores. But if podcasting is part of your content marketing, take care of acceptable audio quality. It's simple - the audience will not listen to podcasts, if the voice blogger is difficult to distinguish due to extraneous noises.
So, you need to get a microphone. Check out the following options:
- Inexpensive headset, for example, Logitech ClearChat Comfort USB Headset, Plantronics Audio 628 and other models. The cost of the first model on Amazon is $ 26, the cost of the second in one of the Russian online stores is 1090 rubles. Even an inexpensive headset provides better sound quality than built-in laptop microphones. Equipment of this class is suitable for novice bloggers and small businesses.
- Mid-range microphones, for example, Blue Microphones Yeti USB. The cost of this model in the Russian online stores is 7-8 thousand rubles. The manufacturer positions the equipment as the only USB microphone providing professional sound transmission quality. Equipment of this class is suitable for professional marketers.
- An expensive professional-grade microphone, for example, the Heil PR-40 Dynamic Studio Recording Microphone. The cost of this equipment in one of the Russian online stores specializing in the delivery of goods from eBay is 10,850 rubles or 327 US dollars. Please note, this microphone should be used only if you need the sound quality of the level of professional recording studios.
In most cases, bloggers and marketers can create high-quality podcasts using microphones connected to PCs and computers themselves. But in some cases, you may need additional equipment for recording and creating special effects.
For example, if you chose the professional Heil PR-40 Dynamic Studio Recording Microphone microphone, you should understand that you need to connect it via an XLR connection to the mixing console.
Using the mixer, you can process the sound, record the voice of the blogger and his interlocutor on different audio tracks, remove extraneous noises, edit audio, apply various special effects. Pay attention to the mixing console PreSonus FireStudio Project, with its help you can significantly improve the quality of podcasts. The cost of a gadget on Amazon is $ 400.
What software and online services will help a podcaster
To create podcasts, you need software that allows you to record audio, edit it, and convert it to an MP3 file that can be published on the site.
If you plan to interview experts and include them in podcasts, you will need software that allows you to call the other person and record the conversation. Here the choice is simple - use Skype. Even if your interlocutor uses the laptop's built-in microphone, the recording quality will be higher than when you try to record voice from a cell phone.
To record a Skype-dialogue with an interlocutor, use the Pamela Call Recorder software (for Windows OS) or eCamm Call Recorder (for iOS). The cost of the boxed version of the first product is 21.67 US dollars, the cost of the second is 29.95 US dollars.
If you create video podcasts, use the free Google Hangouts service. With it, you can not only record video chat, but also automatically publish it on your YouTube channel. You can also post an interview on your website.
If you do not plan to interview, use programs that allow you to record audio using a microphone connected to a PC. Some of them are listed below:
- Audacity is a free program for recording and editing sound. This software allows you to add effects to the recording, remove defects, save files in MP3, WAV, Ogg Vorbis format.
- GarageBand is free software for iOS. The program is designed to record, edit and publish audio.
- Adobe Audition is an Adobe audio editor. The cost of its use is 599 rubles per month. You can also purchase it as part of the Creative Cloud design package, which costs 1,500 rubles a month. Adobe Audition software can be used in conjunction with the professional recording equipment described above. In particular, the audio editor allows you to record two audio tracks simultaneously, edit the recording, delete noise and add effects.
To create and publish podcasts, you need a special hard and soft. Beginner audio bloggers can get away with free software and microphones built into the PC. However, professional marketers should pay attention to the equipment of a higher class to ensure the quality of the recording.
Pay attention to the mid-priced USB microphone if you plan to record and publish audio without processing. And if you plan to edit recordings, use a professional-grade microphone and a mixer. In this case, you will need advanced software, such as Adobe Audition. Use Skype and programs to record conversations, if you want to take an audio interview with experts. And the Google Hangouts service will help you create and publish video interviews.