This article has a continuation - Part 2. How to edit texts
Does the staff of the content marketing department need an editor? The answer is unequivocal - yes, I need it. In our practice, we have seen that there is only one effective way to successfully create and distribute branded content. The method is as follows: approach to the creation and distribution of materials based on the same principles as the editorship of the offline edition. In fact, in order to successfully promote a project, you need to create an editorial board in which there should be narrow specialists.
Everyone in the team is responsible for their front work. A content strategist deals with strategic things - studies the topics and content of competitors, forms a content plan, and thinks about ways to contact the audience. Web analysts and SEO analysts analyze data using statistics services and give specific recommendations for improving search engine rankings. And only the editor is responsible for the final quality of the product - branded content that you distribute. Is it worth explaining why quality is so important?
There are obvious things. For example: any marketing actions are powerless when it comes to promoting a product whose quality does not meet market standards. This fully applies to your content - the main tool of your online marketing strategy. As a marketer, you must agree with the statement that your content is no different in importance from the product you are offering. It is by the quality of the content you create that the audience will indirectly judge your status in the market, your capabilities and the quality of your services or products. Believe it so. And that is why your content should be flawless and irresistible, and the editor, whose main responsibility is to constantly maintain its impeccability and irresistibility, must be a professional of the highest standard.
The most important rationale for the importance of this specialist: every author needs an editor. There are no exceptions. The author of any level, even the Pulitzer Prize winner.
If you are promoting your content on your own, then in your state there must be a specialist responsible for two things:
- A strategic view on the creation and distribution of content (based on goals, it is important to determine what your message will be to the target audience, what form (press releases, guides, video content, etc.) will most effectively interact with Central Asia at any given moment .
- Practical actions to improve the content being created (dense work with authors, writing technical tasks for them, returning texts that do not satisfy the level of quality set by you, for revision).
In principle, these two functions can be performed by one person, but it is much more effective to separate them between two specialists - the content strategist (function number 1) and the editor (function number 2). Because basically it is fundamentally different activities.
What are the main differences between the editor and the content strategist?
- A content strategist, for all his immersion in the subject of the market and the work of the authors who generate materials, while he, from our point of view, should be able to write and edit, if necessary, still essentially serves as a marketer, and his main the task is to think what will help the brand to become more famous, how to make the audience relate to your company more loyally; In the process of creating and distributing content, this specialist should perform any actions that will expand the pool of the target audience and increase your sales.
- The editor is a practitioner. His path - work on improving content. Guided by the tasks that the content strategist sets to him, he formulates exact requirements for the authors, giving them instructions on writing various materials (in our agency these “precisely formulated requirements” are called “technical assignments”, there is a fish of this document, which each new task is modified by the editor), sends the texts for revision with a clear explanation of what does not suit and how to fix it; edits texts, corrects speech, grammatical and punctuation errors, compositional and substantial shortcomings, often selects illustrations for materials and makes captions to photos, ensures that the content manager does not make mistakes during the layout of materials.
- Content Strategist understands what need to give to the target audience. The editor knows as give it to her in the most interesting form for her. Content strategist creates goals (you need to familiarize Central Asia with a new product line; or: you need a script for a video about the company's anniversary; or: you need to generate positive feedback in social networks to level the negative that has appeared, etc.). The editor knows how to implement these goals in practice most effectively.
What the editor will give you
The editor is the only specialist in your staff who is absolutely accurate and at the level of theory, and even better, at the level of intuitive sense created by daily practice, knows the most effective techniques in communicating with the audience in confidence through content, knows your format best of all, that it is impossible to write in materials, it can replace an average of two or three words and add one paragraph to make the medium text interesting to your audience. When it comes to practice, all the trump cards in the hands of the editor. The rules of the practical game he knows best.
It is much easier to find professional authors than a good editor for your online editorial staff, who has extensive practical work experience and understands perfectly well what a format is. And you will often come across this concept if you implement a content marketing strategy. A proprietary format is inevitably created by any company that distributes content online. At the same time, all published materials meet certain rules: a special concept of presenting information, their own style, their own way of contact with the audience, other things that are dictated by the company's brand book. The format is in all business and other publications, and if you plan to place your content on third-party sites, your editor should catch the requirements of someone else’s format on the move.
You need to search for editors if you are faced with the task of creating high-quality, interesting content for the target audience.
The principle of the editor
The editor does not work with the texts, guided by the subjective ideas about what is good and bad in the language and manner of the author. Of course, the editor is also a man, and, like any of us, he has his own preferences and his own taste. But, from a professional point of view, the editor's taste is a fundamental unit that is based on objective things - an understanding of the theory of editorial work and a long practice, during which an almost intuitive skill is developed to bring the text to a given level of quality.
We will talk about the theoretical side of the editor’s work in the next part of our article. We will try to sort through all the editing stages and text editing types, which we hope will help company managers and people in charge of content marketing to make sure that such a regular unit as an editor is important, and those who work directly with texts (in including authors) will help to better understand the objective principles that should be followed when working on improving materials.
This article has a continuation - Part 2. How to edit texts