There is no formula for an ideal post that will surely appear in the feed for all friends and subscribers. "Facebook" does not disclose all the nuances of the formation of news feeds.
I decided to figure out what influences the display of publications most of all: I studied official information from Facebook, reviewed my own experience, and talked with experts. Gathered the basic principles that help get more coverage.
In creating the material they helped and shared their experience:
- What do we know from experience and how can we increase the coverage
- 1. Publication of friends in priority
- 2. Reactions and engagement bring publications to the top.
- 3. Content Type Affects Audience
- 4. The topic should be informative / relevant to your public.
- 5. The post should not contain inappropriate information and clickbaytov
- 6. Fasting needs to be released at the right time.
- 7. Posts should be regular
- 8. The quality of subscribers influences engagement.
- 9. Need advertising
- 10. Optimizing the audience for publication helps
- 11. Track results
- Short summary: steps to increase coverage
What do we know about the work of the tape from official sources
In 2019, the organic reach of business pages rarely exceeds 7%, usually only 2-4%. Noticeably lose coverage business began 7-8 years ago. Back in 2012, the algorithm showed posts 15-20% of the audience.
In 2014, Edgerank Checker, a Facebook marketing tool, recorded a decrease in the coverage of business pages compared to 2012 (Source: HubSpot). The coverage of posts fell from 16 to 6.51%
In 2014, Facebook published news for business pagesthat in the user feed will be less likely to display advertising content. Especially posts that:
- make people buy a product or install an application,
- forced to participate in promotions and sweepstakes,
- use the same content that has already been used in advertising.
In 2016, Adam Mosseri, the former head of Facebook, known for creating news feeds, is made a presentation about facebook algorithms and discovered what the system relies on when it decides which post to show in the tape. Here are the slides with explanations from his presentation:
Since 2017, Facebook has been actively talking about security within the network. In November, Mark Zuckerberg announced that the safety of users of a social network puts higher earnings. The owner of the company noted that they calculate and delete fake news, malicious statements and other unpleasant content. At that time, they were going to double the number of employees who track unacceptable positions from 10,000 to 20,000 employees.
Transfer: We invest a lot in people and technology. The part focuses on identifying bad user behavior. Efforts are directed at removing false news, bad utterances, bullying and other problematic content that is undesirable in the community. We already have about 10,000 people working on security, and we plan to double this figure to 20,000 next year to monitor the implementation of community standards and check advertisements. We are also creating new AIs for detecting bad content and bad users - on the same principle as we coped with terrorist propaganda.
Zuckerberg also indicated in the post that the next 3 years they will focus on the video:
Transfer: Over the next three years, the biggest trend will be video growth. This concerns both the desire to share (for example, we saw the rapid growth of Stories in Instagram and Status in Vatsap, each of which has more than 300 million daily activities), and video content consumption. We recently added the "Watch tab" tab, where you can find shows, follow the creators, chat with people who watch the show, and join groups with people with similar interests.
In 2017, "Facebook" published an article on his blog with arguments about how social networks affect our lives, and how Facebook is trying to make the time on its social network better for the user. Important updates for business and personal profiles:
- The quality of the tape. Facebook will be stricter with fakeies, clickbags and low-quality content. The algorithm will show more publications from friends and relatives.
- Functions "Block for 30 days" and "To take a break". Facebook has launched these functions so that the user can temporarily refuse to publish friends and pages.
Even more sad changes for business pages occurred in 2018. Mark Zuckerberg personally announced that the priority of company posts will decrease even more.
Excerpt from Mark Zuckerberg’s publication of January 12, 2018
Transfer: One of the main tasks for 2018 is to make sure that the time we spend on Facebook is of high quality. We created Facebook to help people stay in touch with loved ones. That's why we always put friends and family above. Studies show that strengthening our relationship improves our well-being. But recently we received feedback from our community that publicly available content — messages from companies, brands, and the media — crowds out personal publications that encourage us to communicate more with each other.
In May, 2018 Facebook released video with an explanation of the algorithms. The meaning is the same as in the presentation of Adam Mosseri in 2016. The video has an interesting parallel with the way the algorithm works:
“Let's imagine that I’m waiting for my wife Monika in a restaurant. I need to order something from her, because she wrote to me and asked for it. The first thing I will do is see what’s on the menu. I can’t order something if it is unavailable. Then I will act on the basis of everything that I know about my wife: whether she loves fish or burgers, now lunch or dinner, which is well cooked in this restaurant than Monica had breakfast. And after that I'll make a guess. I'll just try to assess the likelihood of whether she will like fish, chicken soup, or something else. Facebook feed "Operates according to the same logic."
Most recently, on March 31, 2019, Facebook announced the new feature “Why I see it.” Previously, it was only available for sponsored posts.
The function is located in the context menu in the right corner of the publication. It will show, on the basis of what the post got to your tape. For example, it indicates that you interacted with the author’s posts, with a similar content format, or subscribed to this author’s updates.
Facebook claims that the function will allow you to adjust the frequency of similar publications in the future.
Source: of. Facebook Blog
New function is introduced gradually starting April 1. Now it is not at all.
Learn more about why you see a particular post in the feed, in the section “How the news feed works” on Facebook.
What do we know from experience and how can we increase the coverage
For the attention of an individual user, hundreds and thousands of posts are fighting. When forming the tape takes into account the tasks, tastes and activity of each user. Everyone’s preferences are different: some want to see all the content from friends, the second do not want to read negative information, others want to keep up with the news of their country, etc. “Facebook” cannot know for sure which post to post, but can make a reasonable assumption.
Here are the facts and tips on how to "make friends" with the algorithm.
1. Publication of friends in priority
Publication of business pages are noticeably worse.
If format allows you, tell about your project from a personal profile. In addition to higher coverage, there are other advantages. You can make the publication more open and have, raise personal topics, ask for advice, share successes. Look at the post of our head of marketing Evgenia Kryukova:
In the personal profile you have the right to an opinion, you can give an assessment. It is much easier to develop any HYIP theme when you write personally from yourself.
A business page can be maintained in parallel with a personal one, and in a personal profile you can also talk about products and company successes. You can contact your friends and colleagues.
2. Reactions and engagement bring publications to the top.
The algorithm looks, whether the person reacted to publications of the specific page earlier. If a person ignores friends, but at the same time regularly likes, comments and repost the publication of a business page, her posts become higher priority than posts from friends.
Content should trigger a reaction. Facebook’s main metric is engagement. The parameter is quite mythical, no one knows exactly how it is calculated. Facebook keeps it a secret so that this metric is not cheated.
Involvement is a cumulative response rate: likes, reposts, comments, etc. The algorithm even sees the readings: do you skip a post, open a ... Most of all, Facebook takes into account comments and reposts. Likes are less interesting, t. to. many users put them mechanically.
In my experience, communication in the comments has the most effect on coverage. Not the number of likes or even reposts, but the number and quality of comments. That is, not when the comments write something the same, but when people write something that contributes to communication under the publication.
Six months ago, I did an experiment where I pushed people towards communication. Some users asked a question, while others answered there. The coverage of this post was 50-60% of my total number of subscribers. On average, I have 20-25%.
How to do it? You can inform people through the chat bot (I use Many Chat), promise a bonus / gift for a comment. You can make this game: "Write a comment - get a gift."
There are several rules and ways to achieve maximum involvement. An important rule is not to use standard calls for activity. “Facebook” does not like the “Instagram if” form that is classic for “put if”. They even published this information themselves. The algorithm has filters that find similar formulations and reduce the coverage of the post.
What formats work well?
- Questions to the audience. People love to share tips, recommendations.
- Poll. Either the built-in format (“Facebook” offers two options), or free: you write a question in a post and under it a numbered list with answers, and people choose a specific option.
- Live video. This is the best format, it has the highest coverage. But here we must bear in mind that by default people do not begin to talk. There is a rule in community management - people do what you tell them.
As part of the live recommend to make a few touches with the audience. The first is to ask you questions while you live. The second is to ask the audience questions several times in context. "How do you think? Have you come across this? And what service do you use? And how do you solve this problem?" Third, when you are telling something as interesting, rich and new as possible, ask a question or ask for confirmation: "If this is new for you, let me know / like / comment here."
- Consulting stocks. There are two options:
- Write a post on a specific topic, announce that your expert, for example, on the topic of aesthetic dentistry will answer all questions. People ask questions, you answer in the comments.
- Through live. Announce that at such and such a time, at such and such a day, you will conduct a live broadcast. People ask questions in advance, and then on the live.
- Discussion topics. “Facebook” is one of the most controversially tense social networks, people here like to speak out, like to enter into confrontation.
- Popular Topics. Topics that everyone is talking about now. But here we must be careful, because it often leads to a negative.
- Contests Unfortunately, experience shows that it is rather a dead format. Contests rarely shoot. Now this format has moved to Instagram.
3. Content Type Affects Audience
The circle of people who are most likely to see a post depends on whether you publish a video, album or text.
The algorithm shows different people different content formats. If a person is used to watching videos, he will receive a lot of videos, if the text is a lot of text.
We made a rating for ourselves with the categories of content that are gaining the highest priority on Facebook:
- Live video.
- Normal video (“Facebook” is a very video-oriented social network).
- Image + text.
- “Instant article” - the so-called instant articles.
The two categories with the smallest reach are external links and reposts.
4. The topic should be informative / relevant to your public.
Facebook knows your preferences: that you are interested in recipe videos, that you are interested in politics, or that you love animal photos. The algorithm can recognize topics by keywords.
The algorithm even pushes your publications not from your friends list or behind-the-web pages, but simply random posts that you consider relevant.
If you are running a business page, a small summary of the information can be found in the “Audience Statistics” section.
Link if you do not use business manager
Link if you are using a business manager
Path: "Business Manager" → "audience statistics".
5. The post should not contain inappropriate information and clickbaytov
The algorithm calculates when the post title does not correspond to the content by reference, recognizes some unacceptable phrases (especially in English), and does not like calls to expand, subscribe, and slap. "Facebook" reduces the priority of everything that may seem unpleasant to the user, too advertising and confusing.
6. Fasting needs to be released at the right time.
Facebook prefers more recent publications. It is better not to post on Sunday morning or on Tuesday night when your audience is sleeping.
See when your audience is online, in the "Statistics" section.
7. Posts should be regular
Facebook prefers those pages that are posted more often.
No other social network has such a relationship between the frequency of publications and coverage. If you have ceased to publish content for several weeks, then you will have to restore the coverage for a long time and is difficult.
Optimally - from 8 times a day to once every two days. If less often, Facebook won't like it. Every three days already rarely.
8. The quality of subscribers influences engagement.
If your subscribers do not respond to posts, coverage will fall. Therefore, you should not buy subscribers, run ads on too wide an audience, invite all your friends to like the page. "Facebook" will show parts of the subscribers of the post, he will not receive reactions, and the algorithm will not continue to move your publication in the tape.
To keep the audience “clean”, you can also limit the countries and age of subscribers. To do this, go to "Settings" → "General" → "Restrictions by country" / "Age restrictions".
9. Need advertising
Business pages in 2019 for sure.
Business cannot exist on Facebook without ads. Personal profile - perhaps business - no. And this is good. So that people do not have the illusion that you can do something for free, you need to understand that this is a business. People who are wondering "How do I get around for free" have a problem with thinking. You need to ask another question: how can I invest money in order to get what I want - money, attention. This should be a return on investment.
I advise you to spend 1 promotional post at least 1 0000 rubles a week. Less will most likely be ineffective. 10-15 thousand rubles will be enough for advertising per month. The average budget for medium and small businesses is 30 thousand rubles. This is the budget with which the business quietly receives its orders through Facebook, beats off this money, earns and reinvests in advertising.
10. Optimizing the audience for publication helps
Facebook is as interested as your content to find its audience. After all, then users will spend more time on the social network and consider this time to be of higher quality.
One of the tools is audience optimization. You can customize who will see your post. By default, this feature is disabled. To activate it, go to settings:
You will have a new button in the publications:
Parameters not much less than in targeted advertising:
11. Track results
This is done in the statistics section. See what your posts have greater coverage. The most popular posts can be duplicated in 1-2 years. On popular publications, you can also put more advertising.
For promotion in social networks, you can contact the "Texterra". We will achieve high coverage on your pages on social networks for you. We will attract and retain customers.
Short summary: steps to increase coverage
- Maintain business from personal account. You can cover the news yourself, or you can also ask colleagues to share company publications.
- Engage the audience, push to interact with your posts. Formats that work well:
- live video
- questions to the audience
- consulting stocks,
- дискуссионные темы,
- хайповые темы,
- Отвечайте на все комментарии. Если не хватает слов, то хотя бы стикером или гифкой.
- Используйте разные форматы. Особенно:
- обычное видео (на "Фейсбуке", а не ссылку с "Ютуба");
- изображение + текст;
- инстант артикл (мгновенные статьи).
- Публикуйте меньше ссылок и репостов. And if you use these techniques, be sure to write something from yourself in the post.
- Know your subscriber and publish information based on his interests. Study age, place of residence and interests of subscribers:
Link if you do not use business manager
Link if you are using a business manager
- Do not use clickbates and less often use calls to expand, subscribe and hang out. Do not publish aggressive content and information that may offend the user.
- See what time your audience is on Facebook and post at this time.
In the statistics section, select your page and in the left menu go to the "Publications" tab.
- Post regularly: at least once every two days.
- Attract relevant subscribers. Limit countries and age, run ads on a narrow and medium audience, do not invite everyone to download a page.
- Optimize posts for your audience and show them to the right people first. You can enable optimization for posts in the settings, in the section “General” → “Optimization of the audience for publications”.
- Buy advertising. The optimal budget for an advertising post is from 1,000 rubles, the optimal budget for a month is from 10,000 rubles.
- Track results and competitors in the statistics section.